6 Steps to Preventing Mold Growth
SERVPRO has released a report on the six steps to help prevent the growth of mold after water damage has occurred
14,000 people daily are affected by water damage. It is important to know how to eliminate conditions in which may cause mold to grow and spread.
All homeowners who have recently experienced water damage should be concerned about mold, as it can grow rapidly. The sooner an infestation is taken care of, the better.
Here are six tips to help reduce the likelihood of mold growth:
Remove the water as quickly as possible.
Use a wet or dry vacuum to soak up as much water as possible. This limits the possibility for the mold to grow.
Use fans to dry the floors and carpets faster.
It may take several days for fans to completely dry water damage. Leave them on constantly for at least a few weeks to help circulate cool and fresh air as well as speed up the drying process.
Dehumidify the affected room.
Mold grows in moist, warm and dark areas. Dehumidifying the room helps cool the air and limit mold and mildew growth. Any equipment you can use to dry the air and ground will be useful in mold prevention. Don't have proper equipment? Easy- call SERVPRO to help dry out your home.
Steam-clean your carpet.
Steam-clean any and all carpets to properly sanitize and wipe out any spores which may have started growing. Any water-damaged carpet padding may need to be replaced, but is still much cheaper than having to entirely re-carpet the house.
Sanitize walls and baseboards.
Anything that has been touched by storm water should immediately be sanitized. Clean any hardwood floors, walls, or other surfaces with soap, water, chlorine, and bleach to minimize mold growth.
Lastly, check affected furniture for any signs of mold growth that may have begun
Check all furniture for water damage, and remove the furniture from wet flooring. Water damage may hide itself under carpets or rugs, so be sure to thoroughly inspect the home.
Even following the above steps, it is likely that a mold infestation may still be present in the home. If any visible signs of mold are noticed, then an infestation/colonization has occurred. For any extensive mold damage situations, it is best to call SERVPRO!